Monday, November 13, 2006

Spellbound

I have always had a gift for spelling – don’t know why, don’t know where it came from, but there ya go. Didn’t do the whole huge spelling bee thing butcept in fourth grade. I spelled down my elementary school, and came in fourth at the next level. In high school, I was in an honors English class all four years. Which means very little, except that I can’t diagram a sentence - we were doing “meaningful” things, like “litrachure” (read in a high brow, snotty tone) and writing our own books, and such. I do, however, have a certain comma thing that works pretty well for me. (Hang on; I really do have a point to this…!)

This ‘gift’ or whatever it is can be a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I am daily called upon to confirm spelling for people at work. A curse because I can’t see the forest for the trees.

If I’m asked to read something, I will begin with the best of intentions. I want to read what’s been written, I want to know the meaning behind the words, the heart of the writer. Unfortunately, the curse shows up, the red pen comes out (okay – not on the computer screen, people – it’s just a figure of speech!) and I lose the story because I’m too busy reading the words. You remember that scene in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off where they’re at the art museum and Cameron starts spacing out while looking at the pointillism picture? Yeah, that’s me.





I know that happens in my spiritual life, too. I get so caught up in the little things, that I miss the big things. Sometimes I’m too busy checking things off the list to realize the “why” behind the list’s existence. Same thing with singing - too worried about the technicalities of the music to hear the heart of the song.

Anyone else in this particular boat? How do we get out of it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A big part of my job is editing. That's what I get paid to do so it's difficult not to point out grammatical errors or spelling errors. I make the same mistakes as anyone else... I just wish I could get over that need to correct others. I'm trying!

Beaner said...

I'm in that boat too, butcept (tee hee) I'm so stuck on my own daily imperfections, struggles & weaknesses, that it's hard to look back & appreciate how I've been blessed throughout my life. I think it's good to take a step back (like Cameron should have done) and appreciate the bigger picture. I really need to do this today & be thankful!

Donna G said...

Come on over to the dark side...and see the light! Give people a break and look for their heart, it's all training. You have trained yourself to be critical (I don't mean that in a bad way, like TL said it is part of her job) but you CAN train yourself to see people as Jesus would see them....would he correct my spelling or my grammar?

Jeff said...

I'm the same way. I get very depressed when I start grading and see so many idiotic, pointless errors. It makes it that much hard to stay focused.

I don't have a solution, except to have written criteria and to skim. I stop circling after the first page of errors every other line!

AKH said...

Iff thys haz alwayz bin uh prahblum, wi ohn urth wood yew marrie sumwhon lyke mie?

Yew allreddy no Eye hav isshues whiff thuh ahkuhpelluh sanging. Itz sew difikult fore mie two injoy sanging wen Eye ahm kunserned abowt thuh fowkus beeing ohn sanging uh spuhsifik pahrt ore mayking shurr Eye'm inn toon. Thatt taiks awl thuh fuhn owt uv itt fore mie.