Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dilemma

So I've been at this job almost a year now, and I'm really enjoying it. Butcept...

Today I got an email from the 'home' office here in town, asking me to complete a performance self-evaluation. Ugh. First of all, isn't that supposed to be the job of my supervisor? How did she get off so easily, huh? Not. Fair.
Secondly, this darn thing is asking me to evaluate what I do. Like, am I a good leader? Do I follow directions well? Am I organized?
There are a handful of ratings to apply to myself and my performance. So, do I go for the one that makes me the perfect employee, and yet everyone will know that the ratings are a complete sham because NO ONE is THAT good? Or do I go for the more truthful and humble ratings?
I know that I should 'sell' myself at this evaluation, but I really struggle with doing that. For instance, one of my co-workers asked me to print something for him for some binders he was constructing, and I printed what he needed and then I completed the binders for him. No big deal. It's my job, after all. I am in the position of serving the people around me at work. He was thrilled that I did this for him and promised to send a positive memo to my superiors. I thanked him, but told him it wasn't necessary - I'm doing my job.
I'm really having a hard time with puffing myself up, when that's not how I feel I should be. Any advice?

5 comments:

Beaner said...

Let's try this again - first attempt to comment failed.

As long as you're not lying about yourself, I don't think there's any harm in telling them what they want to hear. But....it's hard to talk ourselves up when we're taught to be humble!

Dwiggy444 said...

They're asking you to be honest and provide a self-assessment. So, as long as you honestly report on your performance, I think you're just doing what you're told to do -

If you think you've done a good job and you think you've done things that were "praise-worthy", you should DEFINITELY point that out. I don't think humility requires us to sell ourselves short and/or hide our accomplishments from our employers.

Should Christians be paid less and be less well-respected in the workplace because we're too humble to make note of our accomplishments?

Beaner said...

Wow - Dwiggy's coming out of the woodwork! Well said, honey!

Diane said...

Puff away!! You work for the collective!!! Isn’t everyone there perfectly assimilated???

HW said...

Be honest and let them know that you are aware of your own strengths. There's nothing wrong with being aware of our gifts and using them well. Regardless of how you rank yourself, your actions over the last year are going to speak louder than the paper you turn in. It sounds like they all have recognized you've done a great job.