Sunday, October 07, 2007

Shhhh!

I am getting over the start-of-school cold that my beloved sons thoughfully brought home. I'm pretty much well, with the occasional minor cough, but I've had a real scare with my throat. For a number of days, it felt like I had some sort of lesion in my throat. It hurt to talk, it hurt to whisper, it hurt to breathe! So, for those few days, I was very quiet - whispering only when necessary - and taking pain medication, etc. to try to recover as soon as possible. Then it started to hurt less to talk. Still cautious, I took another couple of 'quiet' days, just to be sure.

Feeling pretty good, I took the next step - I tried to sing a little something in the car on the way home from work - BAD. IDEA. The pain was excruciating! I was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to sing for a very long time - or even ever again! You must understand that singing is what I do. I can't teach or preach, I'm not very good with socializing - the only thing I do in front of people pretty much is sing. (And to be honest, there are plenty of times when THAT doesn't go to well!)

Singing is how I praise. It's how I feel close to Him. It's my way into the throne room. If I can't sing, how will I get there? I was in crisis mode.

I finally decided just to be quiet for a little longer and listen. I still managed to sneak into the throne room - just not as loudly. Today at church, I just listened to everyone else around me singing. I was just quiet. And I was okay with that.

4 comments:

Beaner said...

Well, I hope you're feeling better now! I miss hearing you sing too! I've got the hay fever junk & I was worried being the only Soprano yesterday - especially when I look out in the audience & you're not backing me up! ;)

So....what do you think God is trying to teach you will all this listening?

Donna G said...

Singing is what you do...but it is not ALL that you do! Hang in there, this too shall pass!

Diane said...

three words

SEE

A

DOCTOR

Love, Mom

Chris said...

Beaner - you did great Sunday - no worries!

Thanks Donna!

Mom - um, yeah, SO not gonna happen...but thanks! Lol