Friday, June 16, 2006

Epiphany

Yeah, I think I had an epiphany this week.

I've always considered myself a good listener. I believe it's a gift God has bestowed upon me. I can be a sounding board. I will make the proper sympathetic sounds, encourage you to find the answer, love you, and be there anytime you need to talk. So what was my epiphany? Being a good listener is nothing more than a copout for me. If I just listen then I won't have to challenge you, or myself for that matter.

For a LOOOOOONG time I have prayed for wisdom and insight and discernment. I actually looked up what wisdom and discernment meant. Wisdom is, in essence, common sense. Discernment is knowing something hidden. I recently read the passage where Solomon asks God for wisdom. Well, that's how I always learned it, anyway. He asked for WISDOM. However, the NIV actually says he asked for a discerning heart. A heart that seeks to understand God's will. Wow. Yeah. That's what I want!

And then I read The Message's translation. Solomon asked for a God-listening heart.

Solomon then used that gift to rule God's people. He let them in on what he heard from God.

How do I know that God has granted me wisdom and insight, a God-listening heart if you will, if I won't open my trap?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, this is pretty! I can read everything!

No one has ever encouraged me to open my cake hole more often... Hmmmm - Imagine that.

I love it when you talk!

Chris said...

I thought of you today - I was telling a co-worker that my new chair was being ordered directly from the manufacturer - and joked that there would be some minor modifications to suit me. He asked if "Princess" was going to be embroidered on the back...LOL!

Beaner said...

You ARE a great listener! The world is full of people giving advice, but I know what you mean! I think you have challenged me in many ways this past year - maybe you just didn't know it, so I'm telling you now - I came to you because you were what I needed! Thank you! :)