Sunday, May 21, 2006

...you can't go home again...

It's been simply amazing to discover how many people I know that now work in the same general place that I do. People I didn't realize work there. People I haven't seen since Allen and I got married. People who have dropped out of my life for some reason. I recently discovered a couple working here that fall into that last category. We were - I thought - very good friends. We cat-sat, they baby-sat. We vacationed together once. They were very involved in the life of our elder son, even going so far as to keep him overnight when we went to the hospital to have our younger son. So, what happened? Younger son was born in July, and they just kinda fell out of our lives. By Halloween, it was pretty obvious that something was very wrong. I couldn't get it out of her - just lots of hemming and hawing and nervous laughter. Then they announced they were moving across country. Wow. Okay.

That was nearly a decade ago, and they've been back here for a number of years, now, and haven't tried to contact us. I think I may have a clue as to why they may have dropped us. I think that we were to them like some people a couple of years ago were to us. I think we became too dependent, too needy, too too, and speaking now from our experience, that's too too too much.

When I first found out they were back in town, I actually went so far as to write a letter, explaining my theory, and apologizing. I never sent it. I don't know why. I'm torn now as to whether or not to drop them an email at work. I don't think I will, though. I'm not hurt so much anymore. I think I've just moved on. I will always think of them as friends, and treasure the times we spent together so long ago, but I don't think we could ever go back to that kind of friendship.
______________________________

Please be praying for my co-worker/trainer. Her father, who had been very ill for a long time, passed away Friday. She was his primary care-giver. She lost her mom within the last year as well, and I know this is a very difficult time for her.

4 comments:

Donna G said...

Losing friends hurts...regardless

I will be praying.

Jeff said...

Definitely will pray.

You're probably right to move on. If you see them at some spot in the collective, just be nice, acknowledge them, and continue to move on unless they decide that they're not just another Big Red drone and that you're not either. GIGGLE

Chris said...

tee hee

paul said...

Relationships at any level can be difficult. Sometimes people do the weirdest things without any reasonable explanation. Just be the best friend you can be and the rest depends on them.