Friday, April 21, 2006

Resistance is Futile

I am officially being assimilated into the Borg Collective - as we locals fondly refer to the 'neighborly' behemoth employer in town - the epicenter of conservatism and yuppie-ism. We like to joke about it, obviously. Still not sure where exactly in the myriad of buildings yet, but I hope to find out soon. And, as I was telling my recruiter - I hope this job sticks because they hired my replacement the day after I gave notice. *gulp* So. Started cleaning out my desk, little by little, yesterday. Not much more to do.

New guy kinda paid me a compliment when we talked about me leaving. He told me that he had observed that I am very intelligent (!), that I don't like to show my intelligence (?), and that I was obviously a spiritual person. Wow. Then he started quoting scripture at me (no, not to me) - just kind of a weird 'chat' all the way around, you know?

4 comments:

Beaner said...

Don't worry - you're only HALF borg, so you're still cool! ;)

Donna G said...

funny how people change when they know you are leaving...

Jeff said...

Most of the State Farmers I know are like "Hugh" on Star Trek Next Gen. They're part of the collective, but they certainly maintain their individuality. A very interesting love/hate relationship some of our friends at church have with the Evil Empire, as Brandon well put it!

I'm also very leery of people who spout scripture at people. Just let me know if he starts in showing you that he can pray in tongues! A friend of mine got the creeps when one of our co-workers did that for him at a radio station I worked at years ago. . . .

Diane said...

Noooooo..... The collective....They have taken you....Is there no sacred ground....Hugh was a weird geek....You are no Hugh....

But on second thought lots of us work for various Evil Empires around the U.S.A. You'll be fine....

Congratulations!!!