Saturday, April 29, 2006

Perspective

I will admit it. My focus hasn't exactly been where it should have been this week - it's been busy, I've been training and being trained, packing my work stuff, doing kid things, doing house things, etc.

Today was my last day at my job. And I, again, will admit that I came home just a little upset (LOL) because all I got out of six years of service to this firm was a card. Granted, I was out of the office training for my new job for a big chunk of the day, but still. So, again, not focusing on the other - good - stuff.

Tyler went the teen thing this evening, and was going home with the 'boyz' to spend the night. It doesn't end til quite late, so I was very surprised to get a phone call about an hour before this was supposed to be over.

"Hello?" (me - sleepily)

"Mom?"

"What Tyler." (just a little irritated that he was calling this late...)

"I'm getting baptized. Tonight. Now"

"What?!" (shock, surprise - pick an adjective)

"I'm. Getting. Baptized."

"But...but...you haven't studied it out yet. You can't do that. Why are you doing it?" (me -wondering if this will count if he hasn't done a one-on-one study-over-soda and completed a checklist or some sort of official document - it is late, after all)

"I want to do this. I know this is what I need to do. A bunch of us are getting baptized."

"Do you want me to come out to the building?" (still looking for an adjective, but leaning more toward the "thrilled" end of the spectrum)

"Do you want to? You don't have to."

"If you're getting baptized I wanna be there." (try and keep me away!!!)

"Well, then, come out soon."

THIS is the kind of phone call I want in the middle of the night.


I talked to Tyler before he went back to get ready. I asked him if he was sure about this. He said he was. I wanted him to tell me why. Bless his heart, he did. He told me that he wanted to go to heaven, that he loved Jesus and wanted to serve Him and wanted to teach other people about Him. We prayed, I cried - good times...

We talked on the way home about what this means. He has it down pretty well. Had a few things not quite there yet, but hey, don't we all?

As I was talking with him on the way home about what this decision means for him and the rest of his life, I relived my baptism, and found that I was telling the 'old, old story' to myself as well. I realized how out of whack I've been. I need to get back to my first love. I need to forget about the petty problems and imagined wrongs, and focus on the Lord. Especially now.

Lord, thank You for this evening. Thank You for working on my son's heart, in spite of the example I sometimes set for him. Watch over him and keep him true to his decision. Help him to remember this night for the rest of his life. Help me to be a better sister in Christ to him. In Your Son's Name, Amen

4 comments:

Beaner said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!!!!!

Wow - I'm glad he got baptized last night, but I wish I could've been there too - I love seeing baptisms!!!

Who else got baptized? I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Was Allen working? How did he feel about that?

Anonymous said...

At the Third Day concert, the lead singer spoke about this very thing. His young daughter wanted to be baptized and he was afraid that she didn't understand what it was all about. Then he realized that he doesn't really understand what it's all about either. I'm sorry that Allen didn't get to be a part of it. I'm happy for all of you.

Dwiggy444 said...

Sigh...

Why can't life (and more importantly life in Christ) be simpler?

Karen said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for all of you.