Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Random...

Verifiable randomness – just ‘cuz it’s my blog and I can…

When will my children be old enough to NOT go out on Halloween? So I’m still waiting for the “I’m too old to go, mom” speech – although with the prospect of FREE and CANDY involved, I’ll probably not hear it for quite a while, yet.
____________________________
So can I count it as healthy if what I eat for lunch comes from the same row as something marked with the little “sort of nutritious for all that it comes from a vending machine, so this is the best we can do” sticker?
_____________________________
Just this morning, I called my sons at home after I got to work:

DS1: “Whassup, mom?”
Me: “Hi. You need to turn off the light in the garage, please.”
DS1: “It’s still on?”
Me: “Yes, or else I wouldn’t be calling you.”
DS1 “I didn’t turn it off?”
Me: (becoming slightly irritated) “No, please do it now.”
DS1: (evidently MORE than puzzled) “Are you home?”
…for the love…
________________________________
I told Allen that I wasn’t going to sign us up to attend my company’s “Winter Celebration” party (can’t even call it a holiday party, let alone a Christmas party!) From his comments when I first mentioned the party, I assumed that we wouldn’t be going. It also happens to fall on the same day as the cookie exchange I’m heading up at church. So I told him we weren’t going to go. He looked at me and said, “But we know everybody at church already…” We’re going…could be fun…
______________________________________
I find it very intriguing that, although I work at a BIC (Big Insurance Company – an acronym I learned today from a fellow external associate whose company employees are not allowed to state where they actually go to work each day) and the place is very Dilbert-esque (many mazelike aisles and identical, anonymous cubes) it amazes me what people will do to make their cubicle their own. Inflatable, tropical fish hanging from the ceiling; pictures of just about everything you can imagine – from Chihuahuas to Harleys and everything in between; seasonal decorations (including one foreign gentlemen who has had a Thanksgiving turkey on display since my first day here six months ago); voodoo dolls (‘nuff said); lovely paintings; toys – LOTS of toys – it runs the gamut…No matter how hard the borg tries to spit out identical automatons, we won’t be forced into that mold…

2 comments:

Beaner said...

Too old for FREE CANDY???? Wha??? You know I just HATE that Nick is allergic to nuts - all those Snickers bars & Reese's PB Cups that he got tonight. I guess I'LL just have to eat them...I just HATE to waste! ;)

Diane said...

At 17 and 15 my boys are still going strong!! They even supply me with a little stash of Baby Ruth bars from their haul. I saw three on the counter this morning with a note 'for mom only'

Halloween is so fun -- I've tried to convice them we should all go as the 'Adam's Family' one year -- I mean gee, even my ring tone on my cell phone from home is the Adam's Family ring tone. I laugh everytime they call me.

Miss you.....