Thursday, October 12, 2006

What is enough?

A couple more tough questions from Rhonda Lowery:

Am I completely in love with Christ? What if I got to heaven, after having lived my life in anticipation of heaven and the reunions that would take place, and Christ was the only person there? Would that be enough?

Obviously, the answer to the second part is yes, right? I mean, come on! When she asked that particular part, I thought “Score! I’ve got this one!” But the first part is a bit tougher. Am I COMPLETELY in love with Him? Can I abandon myself in worship of Him? Is He truly enough? The answer to that question may have an impact on the answer to the second question.

I confess that as a child, I think I turned to Jesus out of a sense of fear and self-preservation. I didn’t want to go to hell. Understandable. As I matured, and studied, my reason has changed. Yes, fear of hell is a legitimate reason, but it can’t be the only reason. The more I studied, the more I learned about God and His love and sacrifice.

One of my favorite songs is by Third Day – Love Song is an oldie but a goodie. I can’t listen to it without crying, though. The line in the bridge that says “and I promise I would do it all again” gets me every time, because I’ve learned it’s true. He would go through it all again, even if it was for only me. Thank You, Lord.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Thanks for that HARD introspection! Man, I hate that I'm saying this, but I realize that I would have a problem if Christ was the ONLY one in heaven. He is not my "one-and-only".....yet.

Maybe He would be enough if I got to hold Him - that's the hardest part right now. Sure I have my hawks and the beauty of His world to show me He's there, but I need His arms to hold me & His shoulder to cry on sometimes.

Great....there go the floodgates!!! Now I know why this was hard for you!