Sunday, November 07, 2004

Old 'friends'

I got an email from an old childhood friend today. We'd kind of lost touch due to a number of circumstances, not the least of which is starting our own families. We kind of inherited one another as 'best friends' as our mothers were best friends growing up, and my friend and I were born only a month apart. The ironic thing is, we both live in the same town! Go figure! I initiated our last contact a number of years ago, and even then, after resolving we wouldn't, we still lost touch. It's just kind of weird, you know. Hearing from her brings back all those feelings of being a child again - and all the insecurities as well as joy that come along with that. It's hard to describe. Anyway, it was great to hear from her. She was asking about the idea of going to our high school reunion, and whether I would be going. I kinda doubt it. I'm not keen on going to an event where I know my husband would not be welcome. Besides, I wasn't real crazy about a lot of those people then, so I'm not sure I would like them any better now. I know that' probably not fair, but I can't seem to get out of that mindset that we're all still 18, and that no one has changed. All the cliques and petty arguments that were so monumental in high school...

So anyway. Our women's ministry group held their annual craft, gift and service auction last night. It was a rousing success! Half of the funds are used to help support a battered womens shelter here in town, and the other half to fund the womens ministry group. It's a fun evening with fellowship with sisters and guests, good food, and bidding for bargains! The coordinator this year was so stressed about the success of the evening. I did my best to encourage her, because I was the coordinator last year so I know exactly what she was going through. She needn't have worried. The women at our church are so generous when purchasing. The merchants in our area have been great supporters as well.

An update on my DH's work situation: he received good news! And we both thank you for your prayers on our behalf.

Lord, You are awesome and mighty! There is none like You! Your grace and love and patience are without measure. Your mighty hand is without equal. Thank You.

No comments: