Sunday, November 28, 2004

Thanksgiving

The praise team sang an old standard during the Lord's supper this morning that had me back in the 70's. My mother was in a singing group with our church and this particular song was one of their staples. She would haul me along with some of the other kids and we'd go to various retirement homes, etc. I can still remember the debates over their outfits. Keep in mind - this was the 70's! And not a few of the female members of the group were pregnant. So. For winter, the ladies wore long red polyester dresses over white turtlenecks, while the guys wore dark blue *gulp* leisure suits with white stitching, white belts and white shoes. (Ack!) For spring and summer, the ladies wore long pastel gingham (groan) and lace dresses, while those poor men wore pastel leisure suits with the white shoes and belts. Ugh! I couldn't help grinning during the praise team's very well done rendition of the song today. I just couldn't picture our PT leader in one of those leisure suits! George...maybe... (just kidding George!)

So Thanksgiving was good. With one exception. We went to my husband's brother's house Saturday for T-giving dinner, and his mother called my DH and me aside to let us know she needed some help in the next couple of days getting back and forth to the doctor because she had found a lump. But she didn't want to tell anyone else yet in case it turned out to be nothing. So my poor DH and I are struggling to remain festive throughout the rest of the evening. Gives new meaning to 'put on a happy face...'

Anyway, back to work tomorrow. When's the next long weekend again?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

What's scary is that I was in high school in the 70s, and my Mom made me a SEA GREEN leisure suit that I really liked. Of course, it turns out that it wasn't right for my complexion--so my ex-wife told me--and it was one of the first things disposed of after I got married!

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

ROFL!!!