Wednesday, January 11, 2006

"Sisterchicks"

You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.

Psalm32:7


I've recently enjoyed a couple of the Sisterchicks novels. (Great light reading - definitely recommend them!) The premise of the series is that different sets of friends go off on adventures together and deepen their friendship and have a blast! A sisterchick is "a friend who shared the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like a sister, and provides a reality check when you're being a brat." My favorite so far is Sisterchicks Do the Hula in which two college friends reconnect after a number of years and go on that long-planned Hawai'ian vacation. The scripture quoted above is featured heavily in the book. However, Robin Jones Gunn, the author, uses Peterson's The Message as her source of scripture.

God's my island hideaway,
keeps danger far from the shore,
throws garlands of hosannas around my neck.

Psalm 32:7 The Message

This particular verse has really spoken to me since I started the book. I just love the imagery. To think of God as a hideaway is exciting to me. (Although I must admit that often I don't long to run away to God as much as I would to an actual island.) I especially love this part: "throws garlands of hosannas around my neck." He's greeting me, showering me with love, is excited to see me, to praise me, to enjoy me, to make how He feels about me obvious to everyone. Wow. Makes me wonder how often I want to do that for Him.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

I love the title...I may have to add that to my list...

Beaner said...

Don't forget about the Victory Sprinkles - they are the glitter on your cheeks!