Friday, November 11, 2005

Gather 'round the table

We've been invited to DBil and DSil for T-giving this year. And I've been pressuring DH as to what dish we're taking to the feast. I'm uneasy that we (he) haven't decided yet. Today he decided to make the decision mine. Eep! I don't cook much, because I've been blessed with a wonderful DH who enjoys being in the kitchen, so I don't need to cook. And all my Sil's are known for a dish or two - know what I mean? One is known for her macaroni salad, one for her spaghetti, one for her cookies, one for her greens, etc. "You're bringing xyz, right? 'Cause it won't be abc without it!" "I look forward to your xyz every year!" *sigh*

I've tried to come up with new and enticing things in the past, only to be handily rejected in the nicest possible way. I guess all I'm known for is not cooking.

Any suggestions, Blogvillians?

10 comments:

Beaner said...

Sorry - I don't cook either! But a good recipe for an appetizer is:

1 can chili (no beans)
1 pkg. cream cheese
1 pkg. shredded cheddar
Sliced halapeno peppers

Soften cream cheese & spread in the bottom of a pie plate. Add can of chili & cover with shredded cheddar. Add halapenos to taste. Microwave until cheddar is melted thoroughly. Enjoy as a dip with tostito chips!

And if you don't bring that, maybe you could just make it for your next football party? ;-)

Chris said...

Hmmm - sounds good!
And as for family pix - try the new place at the Shoppes - Sil did and the pix turned pretty good - and they were fast and cheap!

Donna G said...

How about Pineapple Casserole?

I don't cook much either, but it is MY dish to bring to all family events.

Very tasty with Ham if you have ham as part of your TKG meal.

Chris said...

Donna - you're being a tease - you can't just toss out a random name like that and then not provide the recipe!

Chris said...

Thanks for the suggestion, DH - I'll make pecan pie - I've done it before...maybe that's my legacy...

Anonymous said...

You MUST take my mamaw's coconut cake! I'll email you the recipe!

My out laws (former in laws) wouldn't let me come to a family gathering without one!

Beaner said...

Hey Allen, I was gonna recommend Chris just buying some Linden Street Grill fried chicken. That OK??? And don't you know that my husband is as white as they come? D-white!

Donna G said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donna G said...

Baked Pineapple Casserole

1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (I prefer tidbits)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 stack Ritz crackers, crushed
Drain pineapple, save 3 tablespoon of juice.
Combine sugar and flour; add cheese, pineapple and pineapple juice. Mix well. Put in greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
Mix crushed crackers and melted butter together; sprinkle over pineapple mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350*F or until browned.


I'm sorry, I know I worry too much!!

Chris said...

Donna - what are you worried about? I may need to save this one until Easter - sounds like turkey is the main course (2 of them, actually.)