Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Tuesday

Haha! I'll post BEFORE I start work today! I'll foil you yet, silly workplace!!

Okay, DH - here are the seven blog topics I've pieced together for you:

  • Would you make a good Survivor contestant? Why or why not?
  • What is your worst fault? Your greatest strength?
  • How do you want to be remembered?
  • Any regrets?
  • Share your testimony.
  • What is your heart's desire?
  • Of what accomplishment are you most proud?

There ya go - have at 'em!

__________________________________

I recently finished a very...um - interesting book, shall we say. It's called Lamb - a novel - The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. (With a title like that, could you blame me for picking it up?!) While the book as a whole is completely irreverent and definitely fiction, the premise is interesting. It covers those missing childhood and young adult years. Christ knows He's the Son of God but doesn't know what to do, or how to be the Son of God. Moore takes his characters on a search for the three magi for Christ to be "trained." If you can get past the language and the questionable situations, it really gives a new spin on Christ's human side. One scene really impressed me - it's toward the end of his ministry and He's been trying to tell his disciples what the kingdom of God is like and He's completely frustrated because they just aren't getting it. He and Biff take a break and Maggie (Mary Magdalene) runs up to them.

"You two are the ninnies here. You both rail on them about their intelligence, when that doesn't have anything to do with why they're here. Have either one of you heard them preach? I have. Peter can heal the sick now. I've seen it. I've seen James make the lame walk. Faith isn't an act of intelligence, it's an act of imagination. Every time you give them a new metaphor for the kingdom they see the metaphor, a mustard seed, a field, a garden, a vineyard, it's like pointing something out to a cat - the cat looks at your finger, not at what you're pointing at. They don't need to understand it, the only need to believe, and they do. They imagine the kingdom as they need it to be, they don't need to grasp it, it's there already, they can let it be. Imagination, not intellect." (Emphasis mine.)

Hmmm...

2 comments:

Beaner said...

I've seen that book & thought about getting it, but I wasn't sure because I saw some of the questionable stuff when I flipped through it.

At ZOE this year, 1 of the speakers said that even Jesus couldn't tell us what the Kingdom of God was really like, He had to use all those analogies which doesn't ever give the full picture.

Chris said...

Yeah, well, I didn't exactly check it out before I, well, checked it out! And by the time I got to the stuff I needed to filter, I was pretty much enthralled by the story and concept. So I just filtered extra hard! LOL!