Friday, March 11, 2005

We put the 'fun' in 'dysfunctional'!

My grandfather and one of my aunts came to visit last night. These are relatives from my dad's side. And I admit, I haven't exactly been the faithful correspondent that I should be or like I have with my grandmother (from my mother's side.) I never really built a real close relationship with that side of the family since my dad chose not to fully exercise his visitation rights when mom and dad divorced. And now, of course, I regret that. I felt really bad when they couldn't keep the boys' names straight. Ouch! That hurt! Not so much because I was offended or anything, but because they didn't know them well enough to be able to remember. I've vowed to change this. I'm glad that Grampa has such a close relationship with my cousin - she's pretty young - I was the ONLY grandchild for 29 years. And I'm determined to build a better relationship with that side of the family. Not necessarily my father, you understand. It's always very uncomfortable when we talk. His choices have built some pretty thick walls, and I don't feel that I know him well enough yet to try to find a chink in those walls. But, we'll see...

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Better to put in the 'fun' instead of the 'dys'!!!

Hope you're having a better day or two! Blugs!!!