Monday, May 16, 2005

From Captivating...

"You are a woman. An image bearer of God. The Crown of Creation. You were chosen before time and space, and you are wholly and dearly loved. You are sought after, pursued, romanced, the passionate desire of you Fiance, Jesus. You are dangerous in your beauty and your life-giving power. And you are needed...Your aching, awakened heart leads you to the feet of Jesus, where you wait on him and wait for him. The eyes of his heart are ever upon you. The King is captivated by your beauty...Whatever your particular calling, you are meant to grace the world with your dance, to follow the lead of Jesus wherever he leads you. He will lead you first into himself; and then, with him, he will lead you into the world that he loves and needs you to love."

I think what has affected me most about this book, and the 'Guidance' print mentioned in an earlier blog, is that, taken personally, they refer to me as a 'woman.' Now that might sound a bit odd, but bear with me. I went from being a 'child' (read: 'afterthought'), shuffled from pillar to post by a single mother, to being a 'roommate' in college and immediately after, to a 'girlfriend', 'fiancee', 'wife', and then to 'mommy.' I've never really stopped and thought of myself as 'woman' without these other labels. 'Woman' as a stand-alone entity. 'Woman' as worthy of respect. 'Woman' as having special, God-given talents and abilities.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not faulting my DH or DKs at all. I love my role and titles of wife and mother! I wouldn't trade my life for anything! And I know they love and respect me. But there's never been an opportunity to just be a 'woman'. I don't think I've ever even referred to myself that way. On various forms asking for gender, it limits the choice to 'male' and 'female'. Not 'man' or 'woman'. Even the term 'female' has a cold, clinical and sterile feel. Whereas 'woman' sounds warm and nurturing, creative and giving.

I don't know where I'm trying to go with this. Probably nowhere. It's just something that struck me and I felt I needed to get it written somewhere.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I guess it takes those of us outside women's main roles to cheer you on! You have no idea how much I value you as a friend and admire you as a Christian woman who's trying hard to follow Him.

Chris said...

I think women/girls are trained to play that reflective role - to let the man shine - be the 'wind beneath his wings' (sorry!) and stay in the background. At least that's been my experience. I could be way off, and will probably hear about it from more feminist members of my gender.

Beaner said...

"feminist members of my gender" LOL!!!! I LOVE that. Personally, I want to know what the feminist members of the other gender think!

Brandon - remember that most girls want someone who will have all the GOOD qualities of their father. If he was handy, they will expect YOU to be handy too. Take a look at the girl's father or ask the girl what she admire about her father & you will get a sense of what she's looking for in a guy.