Thursday, May 26, 2005

Thursday

So why do people make such a big deal about birthdays? I mean, it's just another trip of the earth around the sun, another batch of seasons, another 365 days! 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes, 31,536,000 seconds. Bam! There goes another one! It's another 52 weeks of experience, of life. Another year of growth, hopefully spiritual growth. Why are we so hung up on numbers in our society? Weight, age, IQ points - all are quantitative measurements. What about the quality of the living? What about the joys experienced, the sorrows endured, the love shared, the friendship enjoyed? What about the beauty of a sunrise, the glory of a sunset? The innocence of a child's smile, the wisdom of a grandparent's story? Isn't the life you've lived and experienced worth far more than the number attached to your life span?

...or am I just trying to convince myself...?

On the domestic front - yes, that was DS1 on the local news describing in his inimitable way how it feels to have a firefighter for a father, with the smoke and flames rolling in the background. "It's scary. It just is, scary." Ah, this mother's heart is so proud! However, the English/Victorian Lit. major - hmmm - maybe not so much! Where are the WORDS?!? LOL! And for those who called and expressed their concern as to whether or not DH was at the scene, thank you! Yes, he was called in, and yes he was fighting the fire, and to be honest, I expect him to be there for awhile yet.

I have to admit that I drove as close to the scene as traffic would allow - note to self - DO. NOT. EVER. DO. THAT. AGAIN! It's really tough to see this seeminly chaotic scene with danger and destruction and know that your husband is somewhere in there. And I know he was loving every minute of it! He so rarely actually gets to see real flames - except in the grill! As a matter of fact, DH happened to see DS1&2 (Nutsy & Trigger, Thing1 & Thing2, Toejam & Earl - take yer pick!) and asked if I was with them. He was happy to hear that I was at home (they had gone with a friend and his mother and grandmother.) Wish I'd have stayed there!

5 comments:

Donna G said...

I know it must be hard to feel at peace when your DH is fighting fires. It is great that you know he is doing what he loves and you are supportive of that.

Hey, its gonna be a GREAT 24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86,400 seconds.....

Chris said...

I agree! Thanks!

Donna G said...

For some reason I missed the word "birthday" when I read this post yesterday!

Hope you have an absolutely wonderful one! HAPPY BIRTHDAY and MANY, MANY more!!!

Chris said...

Thanks! Wasn't too bad! Even tho' DH wasn't able to be home with me...:( - but his post yesterday MORE than made up for it!!

Beaner said...

Friday's Pantagraph online has a pretty cool photo gallery of the fire. Glad your DH was not injured! (And I'm glad he got some action too! - I know he probably enjoyed that!)

Looking forward to Monday!