Wednesday, May 04, 2005

It's WHAT...?!

I picked the kiddos up from school yesterday, and DS1 was sooo excited!

"Mom! Guesswhatprojectwe'redoinginschoolit'ssocooldoyouwannaknowwhatitisactuallyit'sprettygrossareyousureyouwannaknow?"

"Uh, do I have a choice?"

"No!"

He then proceeds to show me a ziploc baggie of what looked like dryer lint.

"Guess what this is!"

"Um..."

"Owl vomit!!"

Riiiiiight.

"And look at this!" He holds up a second ziploc bag full of something I wasn't quite sure I actually wanted to look at.

"Guess what this is!"

I don't think so.

"Mouse bones! Look! Here's a skull!"

Okay - driving now! Please put all that away and never bring it out in my presence EVER. AGAIN. Love you okay buh-bye!

So I guess my question is - where would one 'harvest' such a product? I mean, does one wander through the woods and happen to find small piles of dryer lint, and think - hey! I can gather this for distribution to elementary school students! Woo-ha! Cha-ching!

And for the record - yes, owl vomit does in fact smell terrible. Thanks for asking.

5 comments:

Donna G said...

really? Do they have to catch the owls in the process of barfing? That is so gross.... Now the mice skeletons sound kind of cool!

Beaner said...

My 2 kids brought bones in for their show-and-tell a couple weeks ago. They were from some small mammal w/sharp teeth - possibly fox babies. We found them behind our house near the creek. So, I guess you could say that I am one of those people who would gather that stuff up & give it to my kids.

Also...FYI.....owl vomit contains all the stuff they can't swallow from their prey like teeth & talons. Hawks do that too - it's pretty cool.

Chris said...

So how does a city gal like yourself know this stuff, Beaner? LOL!

Beaner said...

I am obsessed w/nature! I love reading about it or looking something up on the internet.

I caught my first snake yesterday while I was mowing the grass! I have a BIG fear of them & we have scooped a few up & brought them in our house, but I actually caught this one & carried him in WITH MY HANDS!!!! I am so proud of myself!

Chris said...

Wow! You go girl! Did Dwiggy talk to you about May 30?