Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I stink

Have you ever been around something that's dead and rotting? The stench is overwhelming! It's intense and like nothing else - you'll never mistake it.

DH and I are CSI fans (the original one, not the knockoffs) and there was one episode that really made an impression on me. Sarah and one of the guys is trying to determine the identity and cause of death for a body found in the desert (wait - don't they ALL start out like this...?) This particular body was in a bag of some sort, and had liquified, in essence. Long story short, she's trying to impress a guy, but is covered in the stench of this rotting body that she literally can't wash away. Something about the rancid body fat clinging to her hair, etc. Just a really nasty thought. The impression I was left with was that she was going to be smelling like this for a long time, regardless of how often she bathed.

Which brings me to the story of Lazarus in John 11. Jesus wants the stone in front of the tomb rolled away. Those there with Him protest as Lazarus has been in the tomb for four days, and to be honest, he stinks. But all Jesus knows is that He loves Lazarus and that God has a plan. He doesn't care about the decay, the smell, the dirt. He just knows that this is why He came. He is willing to face the stink of death for the one He loves.

No matter how much we bathe, put on expensive perfumes and powders, we, too, stink of death and decay and sin. But He can get past that. He can get through the stink, through the pretense, through the rebellion, through my hardened heart and stiff neck.

Just so that I could come out smelling like a rose.

5 comments:

Beaner said...

I saw that episode too - Biggest reason why I couldn't do that kind of work - I'm not good with smells! What a GREAT analogy! What the world sees & what Jesus sees are always 2 different things. I'd rather see others as Jesus did than to see them through the eyes of the world! But how often do I forget to do that? Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

If the show is an hour long... I have to tape it and watch it without the commercials! I can't stay focused that long!

I like smelling good!

Donna G said...

I too only love the original, keep Miami, New York...blah!

Wonderful application! Someday I will tell a story of pigs, when yours has had some time to pass.

mark said...

Some time remind me to tell you about a very dead cow, a very hot day, and a very big firecracker.

Chris said...

Ummmm...no thanks, Mark - I've heard some of your stories before, and I'm not sure I wanna be goin' there, bro'!