Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The crush begins

It never fails. Every year, one of my resolutions is to be ready for Christmas - shopping, planning, etc - by Halloween. Have I ever done it? No way. Ever been close? Yeah, right! Is this year ANY different? Well, kind of.

I found a website that promised a Christmas that was stress-free. 'Could it be?!' I thought. Well, apparently it could - just not for me! Those who followed the suggested plans are at this very moment relaxing and watching the rest of us scrambling. Although I have enjoyed the ideas and plans, the cosmic forces have decreed that I will never be organized for the holidays. Ever. Don't even bother trying, 'cuz it ain't gonna happen. As a matter of fact, the plans only made me realize how far behind I truly am. All my focus had been getting to and through the recital, and now I realize that it's four days before Christmas, and I have bought no gifts. None. Ugh. I realize that gifts, etc, are not why I celebrate, and I've truly been trying to keep focus on Christ and the miracle of His arrival to this sinful place. But sometimes it's hard to do with younger kids in the house.

On to happier things. It was 11 years ago today that we found out we were expecting DS1. What a Christmas gift! We were so excited! Full of hopes and plans for our little someone. And he's turned out better than we could have hoped! Sweet, caring, loving, with a dash of spunk to keep things interesting...

Wrigley has been so good! He's starting to warm up to us more and more. He has been so sweet! We're just waiting for him to start feeling comfortable enough to play more. The only problem we had was when he left my DH a 'yule log' by the Christmas tree yesterday, and 'inaugurated' the entertainment center. We're not sure exactly why that happened, but he's not done anything else bad. Tomorrow is the true test.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Don't believe everything website's promise you (I have to remind me students to think about whether some Internet postings are credible sources or not!).

Besides, anyone who has their Christmas shopping done before October is one of two things, IMOH:

1. Anal-retentive and they need to get a life!

2. Lying.

So relax with the rest of us--we all have busy lives, and Christmas shopping is just part of the year-round hurly-burly, hustle and bustle.

As for yours truly, I've simplified it this year--my nieces and nephews are so hard to buy for, so gift cards from their favorite stores are the simplest way to go!

Beaner said...

Somehow "I told you so" about the 'yule log' just isn't good enough!!!! EVERY person who has ever told me that their dog doesn't do that, has had that happen w/in the week!!! Lizzie came to visit us one day 2 summers ago & Mark left her to play w/the kids while he went out w/the hubby for lunch. he ASSURED me that she wouldn't make a mess in my house - she made 2!!!!!
On the present thing - I make sure that every year I have all my shopping done by Christmas Eve & I haven't been disappointed yet! J/K!!!!! Have a good sales week! Blugs!

Chris said...

As I was typing about the yule log, I was giggling because I knew I'd get an 'I told you so' from you Beaner! Personally, I think he was ticked at DH for vacuuming the living room! LOL!

I know you're right, George! Everything just came too fast this year! The kiddos will be done in time, but DH may not get gifts til February!

Donna G said...

I am with Beaner here, Just so its done by Christmas Eve, what is the big deal. It's part of the fun really the running around at the last minute in a frenzy.... But I am done and I am glad. Enjoy the hustle and bustle...

Clarissa said...

Chaos! Wonderful Chaos! It's addicting.