Friday, January 14, 2005

The good news: my basement is clean!

I feel so disconnected - I was away from my computer all day yesterday. Well, I was offline all day. Actually, I was in pretty close physical proximity to the machine, but only because I was slogging through all the water in the basement to rip up the carpet in the office. That's right - the basement was soaked! We had anywhere from 1/2 - 1 inch throughout the basement. (Who knew our basement wasn't exactly level?) So, I made a panicked call to work telling them I'd be in if we got things taken care of before the work day was over. Please stop laughing at me now. I had no idea it would take as long as it did. Call me Pollyanna...

Looks like we mainly lost the carpet in the office and in my DH's cave. He's lost a photo background, but it wasn't in the best shape anyway. We're waiting to see how the other one dries. He also lost all the furniture he made for the cave, but he's not concerned too much about that. Bless his heart, he had such a great attitude about the situation yesterday!

I'm reading a book entitled Bad Ground by W Dale Cramer, and wanted to share a bit of a sermon one of his characters was giving:

He talked softly about how God's voice sent brilliant whiteness firing out of a blackness that had no prior knowledge of light, how He hung the sun and moon with a whisper, painted crimson sunsets and ice-blue oceans, wrought rivers of silver fishes and endless rippling fields of grass, hurricanes and butterflies and elephants and snow, all with nothing more than the sound of His voice.
"In the beginning, He was God the Wordsmith," the speaker said, "and He saw that it was good. But then He came to man. And when He decided to make a man, He did not speak him into being. He picked up a handful of dirt instead."
"He blew into the dirt...and there was a living, breathing man. The first one. It was the first time God ever got His hands dirty, the first time He started with something instead of nothing, and the first time He ever breathed His own life into something like that. It was then, when He made man, that He stopped being God the Wordsmith, and He became God the Father."
"If there is anger in you," he said, "if there is selfishness and lust and strife, that is the voice of the dust. But if there is love and joy and peace, that is the breath of God."


Have a good (dry) day! Blugs!

3 comments:

Donna G said...

I wondered if you all had survived the floods unharmed. Luckily, the stuff lost can be replaced. Thanks for sharing the excerpt. Sounds like a great read.

Blugs back at ya (and thanks for the prayers)

Chris said...

It wasn't even the water so much that was bothersome - it was the temperature differential! Mid 60's Wednesday -> flooded basement -> snow -> hauling out carpet in shorts and boots -> below zero temps last night...yikes! No wonder I'm confused half the time! :)

Donna G said...

Makes our going from low 70's to high 40's not seem so bad, although tonight it might hit freezing. Oh well, we needed a little bit of winter.