Wednesday, January 05, 2005

"Icy stares on icy stairs"

Sorry - couldn't resist the title! I haven't actually noticed any icy stares on icy stairs since I wrote that line in college - one of my obligatory young adult - angst-ridden poems! (Who didn't write those?!) The weather outside is truly frightful this morning! Lots of ice, black and otherwise on the pavement, cars, etc. Little hairy getting into work this morning! Shoot, I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it down my front steps!

I started on Exodus last night - fastest trip through Genesis I think I've ever had! And I come to the passage where God hears the groaning of the Israelites in Egypt. The Message translation really jumped out at me: "God listened to their groanings. God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw what was going on with Israel. God understood." (italics mine) I froze. I so absolutely needed that reaffirmed to me. God understands. He understands that I'm not perfect. He understands that there are days when I don't even want to be perfect! He understands that there are also days when I kill myself to be perfect, and fail. Again. He understands that I need Him more than anything else. And He's okay with that.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

I'm sorry about your icy stairs, I played tennis in shorts last night. The low was in the high 50's, going back to the 70's today. Really I am just thankful someone is having normal weather!

Hang in there, it is comforting to know God hears and understands our groanings.

Jeff said...

Thanks for a good insight. How often I forget that when I don't feel understood by anyone else, God does understand!