Monday, January 31, 2005

Monday Ramblings...

On the way to church yesterday, I was listening to this song I've mentioned previously that I really want to use for our retreat. My elder son asked me the meaning of the song. So I explained the story, and explained the song to him. Evidently I did a pretty good job, because he told me he understood it. I figure if I can explain it to a ten year old...

I went to my hometown this weekend. I used to be involved in a girl's organization - actually, all of my aunts and my mom were also involved in this organization, and they were having a special visit by the state leaders. My grandfather was there, and he's pretty stoic. I went up and gave him a hug, and he was glad to see me, but it was like he had seen me that morning, instead of 2 years ago! Not exactly the rewarding reunion I was looking for...

So I found my aunt, and went up behind her and touched her on the shoulder. She turned, saw me, threw her arms around me and started crying. "Oh, I'm so glad you're here! I've missed you!" Now THAT made the drive worthwhile...!

My DH still is leery about this group, and is glad we have boys! Too funny! I have to admit, when I show up for one of these meetings, I get all nostalgic and want to get involved again. I feel like I was at a high point when I was in this group. It gave me self confidence and leadership skills, not to mention fun and friends! My aunt will be the state leader in three years, and I'm half hoping she'll ask me to help her in some way - other than cross stitching pin guards...! I know DH would not be thrilled, but I warned him when she got elected that it might happen. It would take up a year's worth of weekends for traveling state wide...so I don't think I'll be able to swing that.

No comments: