Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Outside the comfort zone

Well, it must be that time of year again...I've started brainstorming about our annual Ladies' Craft Auction and our women's retreat in late winter. I know our theme is strong women, and I've come up with some decor ideas for the craft auction, but, I don't know. I also need to find some new music for the retreat and get started with practices, but I'm just not feeling it, if you catch my drift. Maybe I'm just too tired to think about it right now.
Lately, my DH and I have been building friendships outside of our church. You have to understand that this is a HUGE deal for me. I'm very introverted, and the very idea of beginning these friendships is completely overwhelming to me. I haven't had friends that don't go to my church in more than twenty years! Outreach has never really been one of my gifts. I am more comfortable behind the scenes, making things easier, hopefully, for those who excel in that whole outreach aspect. (And yes, I realize we're all called to share the gospel and share our lives...it's just a personal hangup I have that I'm trying to work through...)
It feels completely different than meeting someone new at church. People one meets at church at least have one of the big commonalities established immediately, whereas with people outside the church - well, it's a lot slower going in my humble opinion. Don't get me wrong! I love these people, and I'm very excited about getting to know them. It's just that those 'boundaries' for lack of a better term aren't so clearly defined.
Lord, inspire me. Guide me. Pour Your Spirit over me. Make me braver than I ever thought I could be. Help us to truly reach these new friends for You. Make us salt and light, and may they see You in our lives.

No comments: