Thursday, August 05, 2004

Whew...

I didn't think I'd be able to post today! I have had a lot of trouble getting in to post the last couple of days. Felt like I was going through airport security...!

Anyway, as a result, this will probably be quite disorganized, as I was not expecting to post...

Had a great lesson with my voice coach last night. I originally started to go to her to get guidance for the music we sing at church and to improve my a capella technique. But she firmly believes that I can, and should, do torch songs and show tunes. Interesting... I've always enjoyed music from the 30's, 40's and 50's, but had forgotten, until she reminded me. So, I've been scouring her books and the 'net, looking for those old songs - Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, the Gershwins...loving it!

School going to start soon, and both kids are excited about it! Hallelujah! For my part, I'm pretty proud of myself. The school supplies are bought (even extras!), their routines are started, clothes are almost ready to go. Not bad!

Thank You, Lord, for my husband and kids. Help me to show them how much they mean to me.
Thank You for the gift of music. Let me use it to Your glory.
Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.

3 comments:

Clarissa said...

Yeah! School! We haven't even gotten our supply lists yet. Ready to enter the madness when they arrive.
Hope you're well ...

Dwiggy444 said...

Funny - I mis-read a sentence in your post and had a short heart attack. This is what I THOUGHT you said:

'But she firmly believes that we (the church) can, and should, do torch songs and show tunes.'

Words can be a challenge for me at times. :-)

Jeff said...

Torch songs in church--why not? Certainly some of the Psalms lament the seeming absence of the (God-)Man in our life! This reminds me of how sad it is that we compartmentalize church music from other types. In the church in which I became a committed Christian, my pastor definitely loved more "soul-ful" contemporary music rooted in African American churches. He actually told me that the solos I chose were too "Broadway." As if there was no room for artists like Dave Boyer in the 1980s--they, too, had their following! Who knows, Chris, maybe, when I finally get tenured at school and have time to do some arranging, I'll write torch songs from the Psalms. I mean, what better way to keep the "flame" alive? ;-}